Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Athlete Profile: Garit!

Garit



Quick Stats:

Deadlift 110kg
400m run 1:24
500m row 1:38
"Death By Pullups" 15
"CINDY" 10 rds
Recently ran the Vancouver half-marathon in about 2 hours

How and when did you get into CrossFit?

I saw a write up on the Capitol Hill Seattle Blog about how it was “gym class for adults” and I loved gym class back in school. And I knew I had to start cross training with my running. And I freaking hate the gym and lifting weights. So to me it seemed like the perfect match of fun and exercise.

What is your favorite movement? Least favorite?

Favorite: Waiter’s Walk, Farmer’s Walk, Rowing… in short spurts. ;) OH and now that I can do some double unders, I am totally obsessed with that. I even bought a jump rope for home.


Least favorite: Deadlift


What is your favorite WOD? Least favorite?

Favorite: Don’t really have a stand out favorite so far. I really do enjoy all the workouts, even though I bitch sometimes.

Least Favorite: Any WOD that involves pullups. I need the most work with my upper body, so of course pullups are my nemisis. But slowly I will learn to get along with them. (Never will love them)


Tell us about one of your recently acquired CrossFit skills.

Other than my skill of loving CrossFit I did 10 pushups off the knees. That to me is a HUGE milestone (yeah, my upperbody is just that weak)


Tell us about some of your recent achievements and future goals.

Had a really good half marathon in Vancouver on May 1st. Felt strong, averaged a pace of 10:06/mile. Future goals: Continue with FCF and use it to improve my running. My main goal is to qualify for the Boston Marathon hopefully by 35 (32 now, so that gives me plenty of time- I can still goof off)


PC or Mac?

Mmmmm, MAC all the way. Had a job where I did design work on a PC and I felt my soul being crushed, had to shower nightly to get the feeling scrubbed off.

Favorite cheat meal?

Cheat? As in whatever I want to eat? A big burger and fries with a side of 2 beers at Elysian.


What do you absolutely love about the gym?

The training, the environment, the location, the other members are what I love about FCF. The key to anything new (with me) is having the resources and comfort levels around to succeed, and FCF does that well.

What could the gym improve upon?

Mmmm, I think an iPad wall would be very nice. Where you can access workout descriptions and illustrations where it shows movement. In my old age, I tend to forget things I learn if I don’t repeat them often. So a “clean & jerk” might not be what I am thinking. ;) or Skin the Cat (haven’t learn that, but think I have seen a pic of it on the blog)*

What would you like to see more of in our community?

I really don’t know. I have been doing CF for 3.5 months now, and still feel like a newbie, so right now, everything is perfect, rainbows, kittens and butterflies (that like to kick my ass, and get me into shape).


What major benefits have you noticed, either physically and mentally, from exercising with us at Foundation CrossFit?

Well first thing I have noticed are my legs, they are stronger (can’t stop touching them), and my running has improved. I don’t get as winded charging up back home to Capitol Hill from Downtown. Overall, I just feel better. My posture is better. Clothes I bought back in June of 2009 fit again. (which saves me money)


What keeps you coming back?

They way I feel after a workout. The instruction. The workouts themselves (even though I hate some and bitch and moan). Knowing that I will no longer have a muffin top (even though I love muffins, poppy lemon are the best)


----

WOD

"GRIFF"
2 rds for time:
800m run
400m run backwards

compare to 13APR2010.

Please roll out your calves pre and post WOD.

----

A week after this Saturday's "Donkey Kong", we'll be holding a "CrossFit Total" on Saturday the 29th of May at 11am.

There is a sign-up on the board in the back. You'll have three attempts at your 1RM for the Back Squat, Shoulder Press, and Deadlift. Nate is having a bbq at his house afterwards and the entire gym is invited!

5 comments:

Faye Farrales said...

GARIT!! love your green Nikes! :)

Adam said...

Great stats man! it's been awesome to see your progress, glad all your hard work is payin of for you.

TL said...

Keep up the great work Garit! We love having your wonderful energy and good spirits in the gym. It really makes it a fun place to work out (even with all the bitching!) =)

Sheena said...

"..my legs, they are stronger (can’t stop touching them)"

Lol! You are amazing Garit! :) Keep up the good work!

Margaret said...

Garit is awesome.

And so are his oh-so-touchable-quads.