Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Our First Athlete Profile!

Expect a new athlete profile every Wednesday! First up...

Andrew V.


How'd you get into CrossFit?
I was introduced to CrossFit on November of 2008 when my Uncle Ron Panelo (part owner and founder of King CrossFit) talked to me about it. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but he showed me videos on the site of people doing "Fran" and "Linda". Thought it was interesting, but a lot of things were going on in my life at that time- I just tore my cartilage in my right knee, I was preparing to go to the Philippines, etc. I learned more about it in February when AB- shirtless, with a bowtie, as the bartender- talked to me a little about it during a housewarming party. A few weeks later I gave it a try. 400m, 20 pullups, 30 pushups, 40 situps, and 50 squats later (took me over 16 minutes!! I’m pretty sure that’s the warmup now…) I realized how badly out of shape I was, and I didn’t turn back. CrossFit has been a part of my life ever since.


How has CrossFit changed your body?
I used to weight 300lbs. ‘Nuff said. (Just kidding. But you should take a look at some of my pictures from when I started. HAH!)

April 2009

Has CF made you change your idea of fitness and general health?
It has taught me that it’s not about numbers, percentages, scales, isolating muscle groups, super-long, drawn out periods of useless cardio, burning more calories than you eat, limiting fats, and mirrors (during workouts.) It’s about functional movements performed at high intensity for a short duration. It’s about meats and veggies, seeds and nuts, some fruit, little starch, no sugar. “Healthy” foods probably aren’t. And if it’s known by the same name in different countries (Big Macs, Twinkies, and Sprite) then it’s not food. And that the best ways to track progress are: compliments from others, looser fitting clothes, and the mirror.)

Greatest personal accomplishment in result of CrossFitting?
Dropping 30lbs and getting girls to like me (Kidding. Girls still don’t like me.)


Favorite and Least favorite WOD?
Most Favorite: Team Workouts! Trevor, maybe? Annie, Cindy, and Helen are fun too. Least Favorite: Tabata This or Griff.

Recently acquired skill?
Ummm…500lb tire flip? Haha, I’m pretty proud of being able to do consecutive double-unders now too.

Goal for the month?
Duh. Muscle-up. For the year? Many! 6 pack (haha), 300 lb squat, 400 lb deadlift, Level 1 cert (May 8th!!), work towards a CrossFit Kids cert

Gym rival?
I’d like to say Cedric. Hahaha, only because he’s a beast and his times motivate the hell out of me (or discourage me when I compare mine with his…). Otherwise, I’d say Paolo too since we both started right around the same time, are both getting our Level 1 certs in May, and have known each other for a while.

What do you love about your gym?
Easy one. The community and the relationships we build with each other. The camaraderie is phenomenal. Even though workouts are a race against the clock…or a race against each other…I still feel like I’m part of a team rather than in a competition. The encouragement we offer each other get us through even the most difficult workouts, and often times help us hit PRs. It’s a family thing man!

How has CrossFit made you better in situation (ex: Moving furniture, carrying groceries, running from a cheetah, wrestling a bear, swimming from a shark, etc.)
Last week, I picked up a car. I also outran a wildebeest, fished for dinner barehanded, rode a unicorn, and flew on the back of a pterodactyl.

Hanging out.

Favorite cheat food?
Winnie’s cupcakes. And pizza.

Favorite restaurant:
I’ve been saying this for forever – Chipotle’s steak salad is beyond amazing. When people are skeptical about paleo, saying that you “deprive yourself” or that you don’t get to eat any “good food” I just offer them a steak salad, extra meat, with fajita veggies substituting the beans, fresh salsa, medium hot sauce, and guacamole. Skip the corn, cheese, and sour cream, and you have yourself one of the best paleo meals fast food treats ever known to man!

Favorite motivational quote to live by or inspired by?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein


----

WOD

5 rds for max reps:
push press, 3/4 BW
pullups

Rest anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes in between rounds. Use your journal to keep commentary and score per round.


Finisher:

mixed double tabata: v-ups and kettlebell swings

2 comments:

Marc-James said...

april 2009 image of Andrew is awesome. you've come a long way, brother!

Adam said...

Great profile man, congrats on all your accomplishments, cracked me up to.
Can't wait for you to get that muscle up....