Monday, April 4, 2011

Now introducing...


Hello everyone!

My name is Blair Sutton (aka BCS) and I’m originally from Detroit, Michigan. I moved to Seattle in July of 2010 and am working at Harborview Medical Center in the Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine department, finishing my PhD in Neuroscience from the University of Michigan. I’m thrilled to have joined Foundation CrossFit as an athlete and excited to be part of such an amazing team. The awesomely awesome owners have given me the opportunity to explore the teaching side of CrossFit. But first a little more about me…


Prior to CrossFit, my biggest athletic accomplishment was not succumbing to evolutionary pressure. Growing up, I spent most of my time playing the piano, singing in my church’s choir, and hanging out in my school’s art studio. I never played a sport or even worked out until college when I decided I should "get in shape". In 2005, I joined a local gym and started the treadmill/weight circuit cycle. Fortunately, I also met the owner of HyperfitUSA (a CrossFit affiliate). He saw some potential in me and eventually talked me into a workout. After I peeled myself off the ground and recovered from the post-WOD shock I was hooked.

For the next four years I was exposed to Olympic lifts, kettlebell work, gymnastics, and Krav Maga. I went from a completely sedentary intellectual to someone who actually got called "badass". Eventually I set my sights on bigger goals and stepped away from CrossFit for a brief period to try my hand at competitive Olympic Weightlifting - my favorite skill from the CrossFit arsenal. I competed locally and qualified for national meets, but eventually came back to CrossFit for the constant variation and amazing community. (I still love lifting more than anything!)


My philosophy surrounding CrossFit is simple; always work to your personal best. CrossFit, like life, throws many challenges at you. The key is to break everything down to a level where you can make improvements and accomplish things you didn't think possible. From the newest Foundations member to the seasoned CrossFit veteran, we are all doing our personal best on any given day.

I’m excited to be learning from Andrew, Adam, Tony, and the other assistant trainers to expand my own skill set and help our athletes to develop their own maximum athletic potential. I am also very excited to share some of my experiences with my journey in CrossFit and Olympic lifting. I look forward to getting to know all of you and having the opportunity to work alongside such an amazing group of athletes and trainers.


Zombie & Brains


Skulls & Crossbones

Fun facts!

  • Favorite workout: "GRACE"
  • Least favorite workout: "KAREN" and running
  • Biggest CrossFit accomplishment: My first pullup
  • Favorite food: Bacon
  • Biggest vices: Scotch and stylish knee-high socks (and therefore Knee High Stocking Co)
Dance Central!

----

4 comments:

Ana said...

Yay Blair!

Margaret said...

Super addition to the FCF team!

Matthew said...

Congrats, Blair! Way proud of you, and looking forward to my first Blair-taught class!!

David H. said...

Congratulations Blair! My least favorite workout is Karen, too. Hopefully you'll be leading the workout the next time it comes up!