Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Trying New Food

I recently stumbled upon quote somewhere that read "Seafood Feast directions: 1) see food 2) feast.. and that's how it's done." It got to me because I am not much of a seafood eater - I'll have the normal fish, sushi, occasionally some crab.. but the other stuff i.e. mussels, oyster (I see you Adam) I can't really handle that much. Since then I have really been trying to really SEE food and just eat and give it a taste, even if I have grown not to like it in the past. For example: coconut(s) products (see Cracking the Coconut) and lamb. Actually, I think I kinda got tricked into trying lamb but it tasted pretty good. :)

Buffalo Strip Steak w/Veggies and Bacon via JGP

Ingredients:
  • Buffalo Strip Steak (6oz)
  • Bacon (2-3 slices), cut into 1" slices
  • Broccoli or Asparagus
  • Sea Salt and Black Pepper
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 415F
  2. Season buffalo w/sea salt (very lightly since you're using the bacon) and pepper.
  3. Heat an oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon slices and cook until fat is rendered and bacon is browned.
  4. Sear the buffalo until a crust forms, about 2 minutes. Flip and then transfer to the preheated oven.
  5. Cook until medium-rare. 5-7 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate. Leave the bacon in the pan and add the veggies. Toss to coat and transfer the pan back into the oven. Cook until veggies begin to caramelize, 5-7 minutes depending on the veggie and size.
  7. Remove the pan from the oven, transfer the veggies to your plate, and while the pan is still hot, give the meat a final searing.
More pictures found here. Haven't tried buffalo yet so I'm excited to try this one out! Will you join me and really seeee food?

No comments: