Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Week 6 of 7

Olga wins this week!


What is your secret to success?

I've really had to reevaluate my eating habits when the challenge began. I started to plan out my meals and grocery shopping, making sure I always cook enough to bring to lunch the next day and have a variety in my meals. Three years ago I lost close to 50 pounds on Weight Watchers and have been able to keep them off. I wasn't on Weight Watchers the whole time but after the initial weight loss, I was able to just take the basic concepts and adjust my lifestyle in a way that I can maintain. After this challenge, I feel that I can do the same and take the basic principles of the challenge and apply them to my life in a way that I can maintain.

What is your favorite cure for a sugar, bread and/or alcohol craving?

I've discovered Just Mango Slices at Trader Joes that pretty much cure most cravings I have for sugar. As far as bread goes, its kind of weird because I've had a Starbucks eight grain roll almost every day for breakfast for the past 2 years. But since the challenge started I havent had it once. And I haven't even craved it. There have been days where I would say, ok I've been good all week so I'll have an eight grain roll on Saturday, and when Saturday rolls around I just feel too guilty and I don't want it. I don't really ever crave alcohol, red or white wine satisfies me. Also, since Andrew told me tequila comes from cactus and I can have unlimited amounts (just kidding!) I choose that over vodka. Coffee helps with chocolate cravings.

What's your favorite go-to snack or meal?

I have a few favorite go-to snacks... dried mangos, sunflower seeds, frozen cherries. As far as go-to meal, stir frying vegetables and sausage is easy and leaves leftovers... also the Primal Pacs are an even easier alternative when I don't have time to cook.

What has been the biggest and/or hardest change for you?

Bringing my own lunch and breakfast to work has been a huge change, as well as the meal planning. It's reassuring to know I have a lunch with me that is perfectly Paleo and I don't have to rack my brain for ideas on a healthy lunch I can buy. It also saves money! Also getting 7 hours of sleep per night is a huge change. This is the first time that I have consiously planned my evenings in order to get at least 7 hours each night.

Do you feel any different? If so, how?

I definitly feel more rested and energized. I don't have to try as hard to get myself out of bed at 5:30 am to go to yoga or CrossFit. I don't get too full, but I feel satisfied throughout the day and my body looks and feels more lean.

It really helps to have friends and a sort of community going through the same thing. Alina and I have struggled to come up with different diet plans for years, it seems like there are so many different philosophies on diet that it used to give me a headache just thinking about it. When Alina first brought up Paleo I was completely skeptical and could not imagine giving up potatoes, my eight grain rolls, or chocolate. But the challege was a perfect way to give it a try and I have found that it really works for me.

She wins an $80 gift card to SPUD!

---

WOD

5 individually-timed rounds:
500m row



compare to 28APR2010.

Rest no less than 2 minutes, no longer than 6.

----

Playing with the damper setting on a Concept 2 Rowing Erometer: Does it help?

No comments: