Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The End of Food

Heather Gibbons has been a personal trainer for 9 years and has been with Crossfit since WAY back when. She's also wicked smart and super knowledgeable about nutrition. We all will have the opportunity to tap into her extensive knowledge on April 10th when she is giving a nutrition seminar at Foundation Crossfit (stay tuned for details!).

I was chatting with her the other day and she suggested I watch Paul Roberts speak to the Commonwealth Club about the book The End of Food. I'm glad I did. He's a great speaker and seems to really have a grasp on "the big picture" of how food production and consumption has digressed to it's sickly state. If you enjoy food documentaries like Food, Inc., Fat Head or Super Size Me then this might interest you.


Here are some of my favorite quotes from his presentation:

"the average household spends 1/2 an hour a day preparing food" (What the what?)

"This sounds very Martha Stewart and I'm sorry, but cooking is a way to re-empower yourself when it comes to food"

"If we are going to give food the priority it deserves we are going to have to stop watching other people cook."

Watching this has re-inspired me to plant the balcony garden I've been thinking about starting for years.

No comments: