Monday, July 6, 2009

Responsibility to self

I hope you all had a wonderful and safe 4th of July weekend. Enjoy it with fam and friends, brats and beer, fireworks and plenty of sleep? Good because it's time to get back into it!


Get prepared to use your upper body this week. You should see some cosmetic changes to the gym and I promise I'll get those other rings back up for use. We'll be building parallettes throughout the week, so bring some cash moneys if you want a set of your own! Also, I should be getting some more kettlebells.

Keep hitting it hard guys, you're making me beyond proud to be your trainer.


ps
If you haven't taken your "after" pictures, get ready to take them now!

pps
It's Day 6 so you owe 6 squats and 6 pushups!

----


"A Little Motivation?"
So I just watched this video on the Crossfit Journal called "The Road to the 09 Games" about Heather Keenan, a future Crossfit Games athlete (I was under the impression that she wasn't going to compete this year). Anyway, she was talking about her motivation and one thing that she said was, "Every time I go to eat something, it's like...is that' gonna get me closer to the games? Or like, every time I'm in a workout and I'm like feeling tired, like I'm taking a break I'm like, 'Alright, is Tanya [a fellow competitor who placed in front of her in the East Coast challenge, and won 2nd overall at the 08 games] taking a break right now?' ... It's like, grab your fucking bar and get it up, you know?"
I thought I'd just post this up to urge all of us to really think about our goals. What are we doing this for? I know many of us have set goals with Dru, but are these goals just cause he asked us to create them, or because we want to get better in one aspect in our lives. Now think, what are you doing to get closer to that goal? Is that last cookie, brownie, cupcake, or bite of rice gonna get you closer to what you want to achieve? If your goal is obesity, cardiovascular disease, weak and brittle bones, muscle flaccidity due to too much adipose tissue, respiratory depression, diabetes, psychological disorders such as depression, and renal failure, then congratulations, you have taken one step towards that goal. Sound harsh? Sure is. But hey, that last bite didn't get you closer to a long life of good health. And while that one bite, or cookie, or whatever poor nutritious food will probably not kill you (I hope and pray for), it's a step in the wrong direction, even though it may be a minuscule step.
Is that break you are taking mid-WOD because you are tired? Or because you cannot physically lift that weight? (Remember, if you can laugh or talk, then you can get another rep in...) Are we taking a water break because of dehydration, or because you want an excuse to take a quick break?
Many of us have been hitting it hard core for months now. I've seen improvements in EVERYONE. But we need to extend our discipline from the box to our day-to-day lives. Look at it this way, even if we work out 1 hour a day, 5 days a week, that is still less than 3% of the week. What does that mean? 97% of our week is spent NOT working out. So we all need to find a way to make sure that we can best maximize that 3% of hard work. We all can improve, and I can be the most guilty when it comes to messing up. Find your own goal, and decide, if that bite of food will get you closer to that goal. If not, then change it. And then grab your fucking bar and get it up.
- Andrew Valle
We call this "the slight edge", "greasing the groove" or "the tipping point". The little things do account for the big things later, so don't use excuses for shortcomings. Keep it going strong for every little thing you do and I guarantee that you'll reach your goals, break your limits and be happy because isn't that what we all want to accomplish?

No comments: