Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Healing"

from Margaret's blog:

Oof.  I've been trying to ignore my chronic shoulder pain for about 3 months now but it is past the point of being able to ignore.  I'm going to try to rest it up (for real rest it up) and work on some stretching.

Sounds like I have shoulder impingement.  So I've been doing some reading up about the rotator cuff (the muscles and tendons that allow for shoulder rotation and that stabilize the shoulder) and talking to some professionals etc.
What I've learned so far.... There are 4 muscles in the rotator cuff:
Supraspinatus (shoulder abduction)
Infraspinatus (external rotation)
Teres minor (external rotation)
Subscapularis (internal rotation)

The infraspinatus and teres minor are responsible for external rotation.  These are the muscles I need to work on strengthening.  Internal shoulder rotation is what is so dominant in people due to rounding shoulders while at a keyboard, writing or driving.  Andrew gave me a couple exercises to work on for those external rotator muscles.

This website is pretty cool.  It shows all the different shoulder articulations.  Andrew showed me a few variations of the Transverse Abduction and Lateral Rotation to practice.

I've been wanting to work on my posture for a long time.  And I'll tell you what.  Injuring your shoulder forces you to.  Or else it hurts.  So although it is not the best way to learn, perhaps something good will come out of it all.

I'm gonna try to get some workouts in, but the tricky this is that I gotta learn to be smart about not doing things that will exacerbate my shoulder pain.


Original post here.

Are you ignoring pain somewhere?

----

WOD

Strength:

hang power snatch 1-1-1

Conditioning:

as many rounds as possible in 7 minutes:
1 hill run
20 pushups

Change your pushup style often. The standard is that you start and end in a proper plank position with your chest touching the floor at some point.

----

Completely unrelated to the gym, but I had an old schoolmate pass away recently from a blood infection.

Remind everyone you care about how important they are to you.

No comments: