Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Real Food in Your Hood!

First, did anybody attend the Seattle Paleo Meet-Up Day last week? I'd like to hear how it went and if anybody brought back some goodies (recipes)!


What's in What You Eat? pulls through (again) with suggestions of Paleo friendly, aka real food, restaurants to eat in Seattle.

La Cocina & Cantina in Capitol Hill!

Located in the heart of Broadway on Capital Hill is a Mexican restaurant that has been around for 30 years. They must be doing some right one would assume. Well they sure are!

I haven’t tried ordering off the menu before because they have an all you can eat buffet offering daily too, and for someone like me if I have the option to eat all I can, then I’m going for that! Buffets in general are often very promising for Paleo eaters since you can really choose what you want and it is easy to avoid the things that you don’t want. I had always dreamed of someday finding a paleo all you can eat buffet, and finally did.

So for 14 bucks during the dinner hour, and around 8 bucks at lunch time, you can feast upon all you can eat Mexican cuisine, which features lots and lots of meats, vegetables, and healthy fat. On the buffet line was 3 different beef entrees, 3 chicken, some pork, and even salmon. There were also cooked vegetables, salad, and guacamole on the line which kept me happy.

They have a another post on a Mexican restaurant in the Greenwood area, Gordito's - where you can read more about here.

For the most part I think it's safe to say that the majority of Mexican food can be considered Paleo and a real food which that means you can make it yourself! I recently purchased a Magic Bullet set from Costco and have been creatively creating many different kinds of fresh drinks, smoothies, salsa, and even my own guacamole. I'd imagine that it would work wonderfully if you're looking to make your own almond meal too! Anyway, won't go further with the possibilities of this thing, I'm sure you have all seen it on TV. ;) I will, however, highly recommend getting one if you don't already own one. A definite plus: the set comes with a booklet with many recipes.

The recipe of the day comes from Everyday Paleo where she makes Stuffed Avocados.
  • 3 -4 ripe avocados
  • 4 cans of Trader Joe’s tuna packed in water
  • 3 green onions
  • 3 celery stalks
  • 1 palm full of dried dill
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • grape tomatoes halved
  • about 1 cup of Olive Oil Mayo
  • 1egg
  • 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • pinch of sea salt
  • few shakes of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard
  • 1 cup olive oil

Cut avocados in half lengthwise and remove the stone – leave the peel on. In a large mixing bowl mix together the tuna, celery, onions, and spices. In a food processor process for 5 seconds the egg, vinegar, mustard, cayenne pepper, and sea salt. For another 5 seconds of blending slowly add the olive oil until it makes mayo.

Add the mayo mixture to the tuna, mix well, and scoop onto halved avocados and top with tomatoes.


Man those look good. Maybe I'll be able to mix the ingredients with the magic bullent seeing as I don't own a food processor (yet anyway) ... off to the kitchen I go. Have a fabulous week! :)

No comments: