Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Eggs: the Ultimate Power Food


I love eggs. I know a bunch of you do too! What other food can you think of that can be a breakfast food, lunch, even dinner, and dessert? Almost every morning during the week, I've had scrambled eggs for breakfast. Sounds a little boring but it's easy to make, it's fast, healthy, and to be honest I'm not sure that I can get tired of eating them - though not a lot of people can say that for themselves, so here is a short list of different ways to have them.

  • Scrambled
  • Sunny side up
  • Over easy
  • Omelet
  • Frittata
  • Hard boiled
  • Poached
  • Quiche
  • Egg salad
  • Deviled
  • ..in soup
  • ..baked
  • ..cooked in bacon grease

Like Margaret, I have been talking to my parents about diet and exercise and why certain (organic, free range, grass fed) foods are better than the norm. So this weekend I got my parents to 'commit' to a four week nutrition and exercise change, which I am really excited about, I even typed up a warm up, WOD for each day including rest days, and a cool down for them to follow. Throughout our conversation my mom said something about eating "too much" eggs and how it's bad for cholesterol. -_- Don't believe the myth! How much cholesterol in your diet can increase blood cholesterol but it will be different with each person, just like each person has a different eating and active lifestyle.

Brown Eggs vs. White Eggs

There is no huge difference between the two, however if it is organic, free range/cage free vs. grain fed there IS a difference. The difference between the brown eggs and white eggs is simply the color. A hen with red/brown feathers will lay brown eggs and a hen with white feathers will lay white eggs. Brown eggs are popular (and used) in restaurants because it's easier to spot the shell while preparing food. I read that the reason why the brown eggs are usually a bit more pricey than normal is because the chickens are fed more.... which I believe leads to what they are being fed. Just like meat - you've gotta keep an eye out on what the chickens are being fed. Free range chickens are like free range cows, grain fed chickens are like grain fed cows, so on and so forth. By the way, they sell these wonderful brown, cage free eggs at Costco - 18 for about $4!

Can you tell which egg is a fresh farm egg (free range) and which is the caged normal store bought egg?

3 comments:

Pao said...

ha--my mom says the same thing about eggs and cholesterol when she sees how many eggs I'll eat

colindb said...

Yikes, that last picture is pretty dramatic. Any suggestions on where to find affordable eggs for someone who isn't a Costco member?

AB said...

IT'S THE ONE ON THE RIGHT! More vibrant color, that and the yolk and albumen look tighter

Colin - check out the local farmers markets!