Sunday, April 25, 2010

Introducing One Of Our Own





Hi everyone!


My name is Gavin McBride, a new trainer at Foundation CrossFit. I would like to formally introduce myself to those of you I have not yet met. I grew up in a small town outside of Spokane, Washington, and moved out west to Seattle for school and change of scenery. What a change it has been.


I have always considered myself a ‘fit’ person. I have been into running most of my life; I participated in Track and Field where I ran the 1mile, 800m, and 2 mile races. I also competed in Cross-Country where my team won the Washington State Championships in my junior year. Over the years, I have logged numerous hours in the Cycling industry, working in bike shops for five years prior to becoming a CrossFit coach. During that time I competed in cross country mountain bike races, and enjoyed brisk road rides as well.


I initially pushed CrossFit away when I heard of it, because I wanted to be the ‘huge, ripped, and buff’ guy that mainstream media and magazines declare as popular. I built some muscles, but did it really enable me to perform better at cycling, running, or even basic everyday activities? Yes and no. Yes, with strength I was able to perform certain movements better. On the other hand, no, I didn't find that it improved my capabilities in the places I needed.


As soon as I opened myself up to CrossFit, changes started to happen to my body both physically and mentally. I was stronger functionally, able to perform better at my sports, and at the same time still built a strong lean physique from it. I knew this had to be something worthwhile. Energized, I read the CrossFit Journal, researched the application of CrossFit, and learned from great coaches to become a better athlete. I soon realized that this was going to be not only a fitness change, but a career change as well. I am now a Level 1 Certified Trainer with a CrossFit Barbell Certification. I have coached CrossFit since last year, and have found a new love in guiding people to achieve their fitness and nutrition goals.






I am currently working on attaining a degree from Bastry University in Nutrition and Exercise Science. I want to continue my growth as a coach to lead people to better health and athleticism. I firmly believe a CrossFit fitness program is one cornerstone to a healthy and rewarding lifestyle. Add to that a strong community, a positive attitude, and a commitment to continuously improve, and that is a vitality I wish to share with you at Foundation CrossFit. In addition to training at Foundation CrossFit alongside Andrew and Adam, I would like to become your resource for endurance and nutrition, and will pass on what I learn to as many of you as I can. I look forward to seeing all your hard working faces in the gym! 3-2-1 GO!


- Gavin McBride
Foundation CrossFit Trainer

4 comments:

Sheena said...

Hey Gavin shouldn't your arms be locked out in that OHS? Haha just kidding.. congrats and welcome to the FCF fam! :)

Jeff W said...

Gavin - you rock - seriously (and I'm a tough critic). Congrats.

Soulrunner said...

Ahh, where did that picture come from! facebook hunters!!!

Jacob said...

Nice to have you in the gym Gavin! Thanks for all the coaching and advice you have been able to provide.