Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What is Kefir?

I was first introduced to kefir at Healeo where I ordered a delicious Pomegranate Kefir Smoothie. To be honest I didn't even know what kefir was. The description of the drink just sounded good and I wanted to try something a little bit familiar since I wasn't used to raw and organic foods/drinks, or ordering a smoothie that didn't involve chocolate, whipped cream, caramel, other sugars, bad stuff etc. etc. I tried the drink and loved it. I've even expanded my palate and tried other food & drinks there (/plug for Healeo) but somehow the Pomegranate Kefir has my heart (or stomach?).

Shopping for groceries has become a lot more easier now that I've experimented with eating Primal/Paleo. I picked up a bottle of kefir at Whole Foods last week and have made my own smoothies at home. What is kefir and what, if any, are the benefits of it? To keep it simple, it is a fermented milk drink.

Some benefits of fermented foods:
  • assists in digestion
  • eliminates destructive pathogenic yeasts
  • cleans & strengthens intestines
  • promotes healthy bowel movement (yay!)
  • overall contributes to healthy immune system
  • considered to be a good probiotic intake
  • reduces food cravings
I haven't found a lot of recipes that contain kefir besides creating your own smoothies or simply drinking it on its own. Highly recommend it for a quick snack, pick me up, or something to fulfill your hunger until dinner time.

Source

4 comments:

Margaret said...

I've found that kefir can taste really different depending on the brand. For instance, I HATE Trader Joe's brand. If you try one you don't like - don't give up hope!

I've used it in recipes as a replacement for yogurt or mayo.

Great post, Sheena! :)

Faye Farrales said...

I second that. GREAT POST! Love reading the nutrition/tasty tuesday entries. You have introduced me to so many delicious things, I love it.

Going to have to pick up a bottle from whole foods now, thanks!

Jacob said...

Link to a kefir smoothie recipe?

Sheena said...

More info on kefir: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/about_kefir

Just get a bottle of kefir (got mine from Whole Foods) - throw a cup of kefir, a cup of your favorite frozen fruit and blend it together. Voila! :) Just google "kefir recipes" for any other ones.. it's super easy.