Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Remember no 5:30pm or 6:30pm class tonight!

My sister is graduating from college!

So instead I want those who were planning to attend class to go outside and run a 5k (3.1 miles) for time. If can get to Greenlake, run the outside loop.

*EDIT: I didn't know that today is National Running Day. Lucky you! Go run that 5k under 30 minutes. Try staying on the balls of your feet- no heel striking. POSE running ftw!

We're taking pre-orders for t-shirts! The front will display something similar to our business cards.

Do three burpees today. Just three.

----

AOD:


***************
"Eggs and Bacon"
by freddy c.

What do you eat in the morning? There are so many different ways that people like to start off their day when it comes to breakfast. When I was on the Zone, one of my favorite breakfast meals was some eggs, cheese, and ham in a pita pocket coupled with an apple. I know of a hardcore Crossfitter/Zoner whose breakfast was two Zone bars every morning. Some folks like to eat oatmeal. People are into yogurt with fruit or granola or both. And don't lie to me here... who doesn't love a giant bowl of frosted flakes with milk? They're Greeeaaaat! (Tony the Tiger kicks ass!)

There are just so many breakfast choices out there! The day starts with breakfast. The meal can set the mood for your entire day. A little something to think about before you pick from all those delicious choices. Did you know that eating can make you hungry? Here's the skinny (or the fat if you want to look at it that way). Insulin makes us hungry, particularly for carbohydrates. (
Read more here) The more carbohydrates you ingest, the more insulin you produce, and then the more hungry you get. Your purpose for eating is to get full, but in a short time you are feeling hungry again. Your body is craving more carbs! I know this is true for a fact from personal experience. The days that I eat carbs with breakfast jack me up! I am starving again within a few hours. Not only that, I am totally craving more carb loaded meals (bread, french fries, pasta, etc). On days I stick to protein and fats only for breakfast, I stave off that hunger feeling for much longer. Plus, I don't get those crazy carb cravings. I can stick to better choices throughout the day.

So what do you do? Especially, you folks that are Zoning and are totally freaked out about eating the perfectly balanced meal every time grub passes your lips. Nutrition Guru Robb Wolf talks about this issue during the Crossfit Nutrition Certification. You can tweak the Zone, and for those of us not Zoning, take heed to this advice. EAT PROTEINS AND FATS ONLY AT BREAKFAST! The carbs that you skip at breakfast can be added to your post workout snack when your body is best served by those carbs. True, you are not getting the balanced meal that a true Zone seeks for every meal, but in the long run you will be better served performance wise by this little tweak in your diet regimen.

Chosing better at breakfast will dictate how you eat all day long. One of my favorite breakfast meals is four eggs and bacon or sausage (or both) with avocado slices and tomato slices. I am not one to follow any diet totally hardcore. Sometimes, I'll add a half order of french toast and/or hashbrowns to my breakfast. Sometimes I am pressed for time and I will order that bacon breakfast sandwich at Starbucks with my venti black coffee. On anyday that I load those carbs into my breakfast, I ALWAYS have that feeling that I am hungry shortly after eating. Plus, I end up eating more garbage throughout the day to satisfy the cravings that just don't stop. The good news? You are only one meal away from getting yourself back on track.

What do you eat for breakfast? Post your experiences to comments.

***************
What DO you eat for breakfast? I posted this because I eat protein and fat for breakfast- anywhere from 3 to 5 eggs cooked in butter or olive oil. I'll also eat some meat if any is available. Bacon = mmmm.

Y'all know what a "meat cookie" is? (=

No comments: