Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The boss is back in Seattle!


just for the weekend. And guess what?! We're going to keep going with the $125/unlimited classes special for the month of July as well. Lucky you.

WE WILL HAVE A CLASS FRIDAY MORNING @ 6am for you early birds. I'll add the class if the demand is really there.

I want to congratulate each and every one of you who's been so dedicated to building this gym up as well as building your strength and conditioning. Back squats, front squats, overhead squats, push presses, hang power snatches, ring rows- you do it all. Shannon, Max, Paolo, Andrew V. and, of course, we can't forget Winnie. You guys are (unfortunately) becoming the face of the gym..

(That was a joke.)

But really, let's spread the word around Cap Hill. They NEED to know what CrossFit is. They NEED to be in here working with us.

----

Article of the Day:

by Patrick Cummings

I was leaning against the windows of the Walgreens, waiting for the 66 bus to come and bring me to the gym. Evening rush hour was slowing everything down. A young guy was pacing the sidewalk nearby, asking every second or third person if they might donate money to save the children, or the whales, or the trees.

She was a quarter of the way across the street before I saw her. When she stepped off the curb, I’m sure she had the light. But now, as she pushed her walker, the light was changing and a stream of cars could do nothing but watch and wait. Part of me wanted to go over, pick up the old lady and carry her the rest of the way. Every step was progress, but barely.

I admired her persistence, sad that it took her five full minutes to cross the street. I thought it wasn’t as sad as if she couldn’t make it at all, and I thought about a conversation I’d had recently.

I was sitting beneath the judge’s tent at the Northeast Qualifiers, in a beach chair real low to the pavement. A hundred yards away, barbells and bumper plates crashed to the ground. I could hear the pull-up bars shake under the momentum of kips. Rafael lowered himself into the seat next to me.

I don’t remember how we got to talking about it, but eventually he mentioned his father. He said there was no way his father could get in and out of a chair like the ones we were in. He said, “I love my father, but I don’t want to end up like him.”

READ MORE ...

No comments: